2019 was an exciting and quality-packed year for fans of mobile gaming the world over. Not only were there countless excellent games across all genres, but we also saw smart innovations like Apple Arcade offer a new way to play on the go.
And what better way to celebrate such an excellent 12 months than with some 250 industry professionals in the heart of London at a fancy awards show? That's exactly what we did at the Pocket Gamer Mobile Games Awards 2020 earlier this week. With the ceremony now behind us, it's now time to talk about all the lovely winners.
A number of terrific, varied indies and AAA titles were among the 'Game of the Year' nominees, including some Apple Arcade games, free-to-play hits, and premium experiences. It was ultimately Call of Duty: Mobile that came out on top to claim the grand prize, with TiMi Studios also taking home 'Best Developer'.
The 'Pocket Gamer People's Choice' winner was thatgamecompany's gorgeous Sky: Children of the Light – a title that gets pretty much everything right, from its incredible world to its frequent and sizeable updates. Great choice, everyone!
'Best Storytelling' went to Sam Barlow's ambitious and affecting Telling Lies. 'Best Audio/Visual Accomplishment' was picked up by Pearl Abyss' epic fantasy MMO Black Desert Mobile. Starberry Games, the team behind Idle Coffee Corp, nabbed 'Best Indie Developer', while Scopely was crowned 'Best Publisher'.
The intense, often hilarious Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes won in the 'Best Party Gaming' category, Supercell's megahit Clash Royale was declared the 'Best Mobile Esport', and 'Best Live Ops' went to Empires & Puzzles.
Here is the full list of winners:
- Game of the Year – Call of Duty: Mobile
- Pocket Gamer People's Choice – Sky: Children of the Light
- Best Audio/Visual Accomplishment – Black Desert Mobile
- Best Storytelling – Telling Lies
- Best Live Ops – Empires & Puzzles
- Best Mobile Esport – Clash Royale
- Best Party Gaming – Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
- Best Developer – TiMi Studios
- Best Indie Developer – Starberry Games
- Best Publisher – Scopely
- Best Game Engine – Unity
- Best Tools Provider – AppOnBoard
- Best Analytics / Data Tool – App Annie
- Best GAAS Tools & Tech – ChilliConnect
- Best Innovation – Apple Arcade
- Best Advertising & UA – Facebook
- Best Marketing Team – Rovio Entertainment
- Best QA and Localisation Service Provider – Universally Speaking
- Best Recruitment Agency – Aardvark Swift
- Best Service Provider – SuperScale
- Rising Star – Simay Dinç
- Mobile Legend – Bernard Kim