After a series of complaints by PS Vita owners that the connection ports of their consoles were being burnt during charging, state officials in Japan have launched an investigation into the matter.
Since the Vita went on sale in Japan last December and worldwide in February, Sony has been notified of 31 incidents of the charging slot being scorched by the charger supplied with the console.
23 of those incidents occurred in Japan, while the remaining eight took place across the US, UK, and Australia.
Sony has passed detailed reports of these malfunctions to the Japanese government agency NITE, who will investigate the incidents further.
Sony has been quick to play down the 'problem', stating that the Vitas in question were not defective. Instead, the issues were apparently caused by "people having liquids or other objects inserted in the connection".Andriasang [via CVG]