Android version 2.3.4 is being rolled out right now to Sony Ericsson’s Xperia range of smartphones. Customers around the world will soon be able to download the update on their Xperia phones.
The phones that will receive the update are: Xperia arc, Xperia Play, Xperia neo, Xperia mini, Xperia mini pro, Xperia pro, Xperia ray, Xperia active, Xperia neo V, Xperia arc S, and the Sony Ericsson Live with Walkman.
All unlocked phones will receive the update, and most operator variants will too. The Xperia Play misses out on the 3D panoramic sweep, but it does get HD video recording added to its feature list instead, and obviously only those phones with a front-facing camera will be able to use the Google video chat feature.
Here’s Sony Ericsson’s list of the highlights of version 2.3.4:
• Google Talk with Video Chat for smartphones with front-facing cameras
• Updated Facebook inside Xperia functionality for enhanced like, share and discover abilities.
• Xperia smartphones introducing world’s first 3D Sweep Panorama functionality powered by Sony.
• 16x video zoom
• The software upgrade will enable consumers to turn their Xperia smartphone into a mini-mobile PC by connecting USB peripherals (mouse, keyboard or game controller) to Sony Ericsson LiveDock multimedia station. Connect the smartphone to a TV via HDMI to get a big screen experience.
• Gesture input – text input by swiping the finger from one letter to the next
• WiFi DLNA
• Screen capture – allows the user to share a screen grab from anywhere in the phone.
Those are the headline features, and Sony Ericsson is promising to host detailed descriptions of each feature over the next week on its product blog. In the meantime, Xperia owners are encouraged to start obsessively tapping that ‘Software Update’ button now.Sony Ericsson